Thursday, April 20, 2017

April Update

Much has happened this month. At the beginning of the month I had four hives left out of nine. The yard hive blew up with numbers and I knew I had to split.
To the day and the hour that I was going to split the hive this last Saturday they began to swarm. Very long story but to make it short I was able to capture them in a vacant hive in my own yard after they had been in our Pondarosa pine for several hours.
I did another split on that hive and the original hive still has a tremendous amount of numbers. I destroyed all the queen cells and introduced a queen box which while I will allow to accommodate with each other. Hopefully there won't be any trouble. This morning I moved that split and the swarm hive to two other locations in my other bee yards. It was 50° this morning so I lucked out and was able to move them both by myself. While destroying the queen cells in the original hive I maxed out my clothing and suit so as not to be stung by 10,000 bees. I feel it worked out pretty well considering I only got one sting on my neck below my chin. It was the first time I genuinely smelled the sting pheromone which smells like banana.




No comments:

Post a Comment