Friday, April 29, 2016

Springfield swarm update

When I captured the swarm I was unsure if I was able to capture the queen because there were so many bees. I had my doubts after the owner called me later in the evening this last Wednesday. He said he thought there was 1000 or 2000 bees at least that had reformed on that mailbox. I estimated that I had taken between eight and 10,000 bees from that mailbox. That's what you see in the picture.
My gnarly hive continues to make queen cells and so I announced I had some available for those that may need a queen. Dawn(from our club) came with me today to check that hive and take a few queen cells. While we're at it I checked the swarm hive and lo and behold found eggs! Now we'll see how they survive throughout the summer. They have good numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment